Most households in the United States have access to internet service and cable within their homes. Children in school usually need to have web access so they can complete homework assignments.
Likewise, adults generally must have access to these services so they can work from home and stay up to date on the news. While many individuals are able to find cheap internet and cable packages, these services are too expensive for many households.
Whether you want high speed internet at home or the ability to watch your favorite programs on television, it is important that you can access these services.
To help you obtain cheap cable and internet, different providers offer various discounts you can sign up for. Likewise, there are government programs you can sign up for to help you have these services available in your home.
However, keep in mind that your eligibility is usually determined by your household income.
Cheap Cable and Internet Packages
One of the easiest discounts you can obtain from cable companies and internet providers is from bundling your services. This means you enroll in two or more different services at one time. Regardless of the provider you choose, you should be able to find ways to reduce your bill by enrolling in cable and internet services at the same time.
Depending on your needs, you may be able to combine a cheap cable TV plan with a more costly internet plan.
For example, you may be able to combine AT&T cable and internet packages to lower your monthly expenses.
By enrolling in these programs simultaneously, some providers will lower the cost of the more expensive service you want to help make it more affordable. In fact, some cheap cable companies and internet service businesses will offer packages that allow you to obtain the following services for a discount:
- Additional sports stations
- Faster internet packages
- Movie streaming services
Discounts from Internet Providers
You may be able to access cheap internet options by looking for discounts through your local provider. Depending on your family’s income, you may be able to qualify for certain reductions in your monthly internet costs. For example:
- The Access AT&T internet service is available to low-earning families. Generally, you must have at least one family member in your family who receives Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to receive this discount.
- Xfinity internet’s Internet Essentials is for low-income families, elderly individuals and students. Families can also receive this discount if they have at least one child who is enrolled in the National School Lunch Program.
- Spectrum internet’s Internet Assist program is for households with limited financial resources. Families must have a child enrolled in the National School Lunch Program to qualify, and they can also use this discount to receive low-cost wifi at home.
Lifeline Internet Federal Discounts
Lifeline is a federal program that helps low-income families afford internet in their homes. Through this program, households can choose a participating provider in their area and obtain internet services through them for a reduced price.
Similar to the programs mentioned above, households can only receive this discount if they are struggling financially. For example, families must earn within 135 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL) to qualify. You could also be eligible to qualify for this cheap internet service if one of your family members receives benefits through:
- Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI).
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA).
- Veterans and survivor benefits.
- Tribal programs for low-earning households.
Cheap Cable TV for Low Income Families
Cheap cable service providers make this service available to low-earning households. While there are not any official discount programs you can enroll in, there are different ways you can reduce your cable bill. For example, you can limit the plan you currently have by eliminating channels you do not watch.