Working from home is a dream for many individuals, due to the flexibility and convenience of not having to drive to work every day. Whether you are looking for a little money on the side or want to leave your day job altogether, there are plenty of work from home jobs that may be just what you are looking for. The hardest part about one of these jobs is the often-frustrating process of finding one that actually pays well.
There are countless people who post jobs that they want done for as little money as possible, making it difficult to find legitimate work from home jobs. However, working from home and making money while doing so is possible if you know what to look for. Below, learn more about companies that have legitimate work you can do from the comfort of your home, and discover how to land a side gig if you prefer part-time work instead.
Types of Work from Home Jobs
When asking how to work from home, you might be wondering whether it is possible to find any opportunities that deliver on what they promise and actually pay you well. There are many different types of work from home jobs, with each type having its own benefits and drawbacks. Some jobs that typically do not require you to spend time in the office include:
- Taking on side gigs with your car, such as delivering groceries or driving for a ride-hailing app.
- Participating in surveys, reviews or other online services that companies need in order to help other webs users.
- Selling new, used, handmade or vintage items online through places like eBay, Amazon, Etsy or other marketplaces.
- Doing contract work as a writer, proofreader, designer or other creative professional for a single company or a variety of clients.
- Data entry or customer service for an online retailer, airline, credit card company or other established business.
For many people, the best work from home jobs are ones that provide occasional, flexible income. Part time work from home opportunities allow workers to make a little extra income whenever it fits into their schedule without necessarily having to quit a day job. However, some people are so successful working from home, even with part-time gigs, that they make enough to support themselves without any other source of income.
The good news is, many real work from home jobs are also provided by established companies as well. These allow you to have a steady income either as a contractor or an official employee. You may even find that there are legit work from home jobs offered where you already work or in your current field, as more and more workplaces are allowing their employees to do some or all of their duties remotely.
When it comes to online jobs work from home opportunities can be found in many different sectors. Just keep in mind that most remote jobs through established companies involve tasks that can be done online, which means you must have access to a reliable internet connection.
Best Work from Home Jobs and Companies
Working from home is very doable as long as you are willing to put in the effort to find an opportunity that is right for you. Given the vast number of work from home jobs available, finding one that suits your talents or schedule can be challenging.
Each type of job requires a different skill set, but you are more likely to be successful in finding legitimate work from home jobs if you are self-motivated and good enough at time management to complete your responsibilities without direct supervision.
Finding good work from home companies is the next challenge you will face after determining what type of work you would be best suited for. If you are actively looking for jobs such as proofreading, freelance writing or other contract work, it is oftentimes more difficult to find trustworthy companies and other clients you can rely on. In fact, many contract positions, especially for freelancers in the creative sector, are posted by individuals rather than companies.
Because it can be difficult to find steady, good-paying work as a contractor, many people prefer to look for positions with a major business. If you want work from home customer service jobs, you may find that most companies hiring for this position are already well-established places.
For example, Apple work from home opportunities are a great option due to the fact that Apple has a strong reputation. Amazon work from home opportunities are a sound choice for the same reason.
If you feel more comfortable working for a well-known company, the good news is that there are countless opportunities available. Whether you are looking for work from home data entry jobs, customer service positions or a similar option, some of the best jobs include:
- U Haul work from home positions. U-Haul has customer service opportunities that allow you to earn up to $15 per hour helping customers make reservations and do other tasks.
- American Express work from home positions. If you want to work for a large company and you have a four-year degree, a customer service position with American Express may be perfect for you.
- Amazon work from home jobs. Working remotely for Amazon comes with a variety of opportunities in customer service, data entry and more. Positions usually pay about $15 per hour.
- Arise work from home opportunities. If you have call center experience, working with Arise Virtual Solutions may be a perfect fit. Through this company, you register as an agent in order to start your own call center corporation that covers various customer service needs. However, Arise charges various fees to get started, while other call center opportunities do not.
- Disney work from home positions. Occasionally, popular companies such as Disney may post remote jobs that you can apply for in customer service and other related fields.
When looking at work from home jobs data entry skills or customer service experience will always be a plus. Many positions, such as Amazon work from home data entry jobs, specifically require you to have certain equipment in a home office, which will make it possible to do your job.
Similarly, for most work from home customer service positions, you will need to have equipment that allows you to take calls. Therefore, it is important to look at the technology requirements you must meet for any position before applying.